Suggest treatment for persistent anxiety and UTI

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I have developed generalised anxiety disorder over the last few months mostly centred around health anxiety and its controlling my life. It started when I developed a urine infection and then started to worry I would become ill. I got thrush that was treated effectively a few weeks ago and have been convinced I would get the burning on urinating ever since. I have been taking cranberry tablets which I don't think have helped. Sometimes when I urinate it feels uncomfortable like my urine is hotter than usual. Could this be dysuria from anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go for urine routine micro examination

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Feeling hot during urinating is not likely due to anxiety. You should go for urine routine micro examination as well as culture if needed to check for infection in urinary tract. Increase frequency of urine can occur due to anxiety. In few patients with anxiety when dehydration is more due to excessive sweating and urinating, hot feelings in urine is possible due to concentrated urine.

Drugs from benzodiazepine group should be added to zoloft for fast symptomatic relief of anxiety.

You should also go for CBT - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for anxiety disorder. It gives superb results when added to medical treatment.

And I prefer paroxetine in stead of zoloft in anxiety disorder.

You can discuss above recommendations with your treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad