Suggest treatment for perforated eardrums and mild hearing loss

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, my name is XXXX and last October i perforated my eardrum. My ENT specialist said it will not close up and I have a loss of 30db in my right ear.
He opted for the day surgery, but I backed out and thought I would leave it for the winter. My question is, will I have my normal hearing back after the operation, because i do feel an imbalance between ears. I also am training to be a commercial pilot and I an still just within limits with hearing loss? My second question is after the perforated eardrum has been like this for 8 months now, will my hearing be back to normal? I also have a slight ringing sound since t happened too.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A commercial pilot's licence will require ear fitness.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

1. Long standing eardrum perforations are unlikely to heal on their own. Hence there will be a mild hearing loss which will persist.

2. The results of the ear surgery depend upon many factors such as the cause of the eardrum perforation, any ear infections, the PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram), mastoid X-rays and so on. Remember that eardrum replacement surgery results are not hundred percent anywhere in the world.

3. If your hearing test (PTA) shows a mild conductive hearing loss (CHL), then after a successful surgery (Myringoplasty) , your hearing should be nearly normal.

4. Tinnitus and imbalance should settle down after treatment, however they may worsen.

5. You may not clear the fitness test with a perforated eardrum. Check with your local authorities regarding this. Surgery will not cause disqualification. The armed forces do not permit fitness with a perforated eardrum.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.