Suggest treatment for perforated eardrums and mild hearing loss
He opted for the day surgery, but I backed out and thought I would leave it for the winter. My question is, will I have my normal hearing back after the operation, because i do feel an imbalance between ears. I also am training to be a commercial pilot and I an still just within limits with hearing loss? My second question is after the perforated eardrum has been like this for 8 months now, will my hearing be back to normal? I also have a slight ringing sound since t happened too.
I hope to hear from you soon.
A commercial pilot's licence will require ear fitness.
Thank you for your query.
1. Long standing eardrum perforations are unlikely to heal on their own. Hence there will be a mild hearing loss which will persist.
2. The results of the ear surgery depend upon many factors such as the cause of the eardrum perforation, any ear infections, the PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram), mastoid X-rays and so on. Remember that eardrum replacement surgery results are not hundred percent anywhere in the world.
3. If your hearing test (PTA) shows a mild conductive hearing loss (CHL), then after a successful surgery (Myringoplasty) , your hearing should be nearly normal.
4. Tinnitus and imbalance should settle down after treatment, however they may worsen.
5. You may not clear the fitness test with a perforated eardrum. Check with your local authorities regarding this. Surgery will not cause disqualification. The armed forces do not permit fitness with a perforated eardrum.
I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sensorineural hearing loss treatment
- Suggest treatment for sudden hearing loss coupled with vertigo
- Suggest treatment for hearing loss
- Having mild hearing loss and ear ache advice
- Treatment and cure for Hearing loss
- Laser treatment for hearing loss
- Unani treatment for hearing loss
- Congenital hearing loss treatment
- Ringing noise from ear after swimming mild hearing loss infection
- Treatment for hearing loss by ayurveda
- Can an energy drink prior to blood test increase RBC levels ?
- Unstable,unable to walk independently and properly,on Vertinal and...
- Flu symptoms,throat and roof of mouth sore,coughed bright red blood,any...
- Tingling sensation along right side face,3-4 times daily,sensation when...
- Pain,stiffness,swelling in knees,X-ray,arthritis developing,knee...
- Amoebriz dosage for adults and children
- Eustachian tube dysfunction, ear virus, sick on planes, scopolamine,...
- Pea sized nodule in tongue, painful, affecting speech, tooth pain, jaw...
- What causes jawline lumps?
- Double bypass, respiratory failure, nose bleeds, selective embolization