Suggest treatment for pain on feet while walking

Posted on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: You're not a podiatrist? Over the last year my feet have bothered me more and more when I walk. I am 57 and 210 lbs. My feet only hurt when I walk. It seems as if they are becoming dysfunctional. I cannot run or even jog at all. Maybe I have flat feet or something. Maybe I need different shoes or arch supports. When I walk, I look like an old man. They aren't swollen or anything. I take metoprolol and amlodipine for blood pressure and lamictal, as well. I have trouble with my left leg falling asleep, even when I walk, but the sonography scan didn't show anything. Anyway, I want to walk normally--not like an old man.
Answered by Dr. Neel Kudchadkar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will walk with a perfect gait. Please follow these instructions.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX.

You need not have visions and nightmares about permanently hobbling around.

Here's help. Practical advice.

You are suffering from "neurogenic claudication".

The bony tube called as vertebra, that enclose your spine within are exerting pressure on the nerves that come out of your sacrum, these nerves then supply your legs and feet. When a nerve is under pressure, it becomes dysfunctional.

This means that your feet hurt, you tend to limp, or your leg goes off to "sleep".

In "vascular claudication", due to the narrowing of your blood vessels, there is pain and deficit. This is not the case with you. Quite the reverse. In fact your elevated blood pressure has actually helped prevent this by exerting centrifugal force on the lumen of the vessels.

A sonography has not revealed anything. This is because only an MRI could pin point, which verterbra, in your back, is causing the problem.

Please get an investigation done for the "L4-L5" and "L5-S1" levels of your spine. We can then confirm that indeed, yes, it's the bones in your spine, at the lowest level of your back that are causing this problem.

We can continue from that point onwards.

You will never have to limp. I am confident of this. I have provisionally diagnosed you, as I cannot personally examine you physically over the internet.

Please get in touch with me, as soon as the investigations are complete.

I would also like your personal opinion as regards this.

Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
www. healthcaremagic.com
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar