Suggest treatment for pain in the left shoulder blade

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I woke up with a kinked neck yesterday. Pain wasn't too bad. This morning, I have severe pain along my left shoulder blade and it's shooting pain down my left arm. I took one 800 mg ibuprofen tablet from a prior prescription I had about 5 hours ago but it's not touching the pain. I had a tooth pulled a few weeks ago and the dentist prescribed me norco which I filled but didn't use. I still have the prescription. I generally don't take pain killers except over the counter advil or tylenol every now and then. But, I can hardly function with this pain I am having. Is it safe to take one of the norco pills even though I have the ibuprofen still in my system. Would it help?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take Norco and ibuprofen together.

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxx,

You can take Norco while you have ibuprofen in your system. The two medications are members of different drug families and also, they will not interact.

It might help, but I am concerned that you are having neuropathic pain which may mean that there is nerve impingement.

You can try the Norco, but if it does not help, you should go in to the ER.

If the pain persists, do call your doctor's office asap as he/she may want you to have an MRI to see what is going on.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Thank you. Is that a treatable condition? If so, what do they do to treat it?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
It depends on what is going on, but usually the problem is treatable and the prognosis is good.

Diagnosis is made, usually, with either an MRI or CT myelography.

Treatment usually consists of some combination of: oral pain meds, a short course of oral corticosteroids, a soft neck collar, special neck pillow, avoiding activities that make it worse, physical therapy with gradual increased movement, and cervical traction.

If you are in a lot of pain, even after the Norco, then do go in to an ER, and ask to be seen by a physician (not a PA or NP). And be sure to not touch your face (eyes, nose, mouth) until after you have thoroughly washed your hands when you get back home because there is a lot of flu happening right now and I wouldn't want to send you in to a clinic/ER where you pick it up.