Suggest treatment for pain in legs, arms and joints along with muscle spasms

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have just had surgery 2 months ago. During surgery team 1 finished and team 2 came in to start 2nd procedure
I was told later that when 2nd team of Doctors started to do incision, I jerked up and spit out the mouthpiece and in order to keep me from falling from the table they had to hold me down while they got me figured out.
I healed great in the reasons for surgery. However since going back to work each day I have more and more pain. Legs,back,arms,joints, muscles that spasm so strongly that I can hardly walk. i feel like I am in a nightmare. i think that I might have been injured when they held me down. I am a woman with small bone structure. What do you think and who should I go to? The doc office told me to contact family practice Doctor. I live in Los Angeles, Ca My job requires me to stand and walk however, even if I sit getting up from sitting is now very painful Help!
email YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D deficiency likely.

Detailed Answer:
The generalized body pains and aches that you have are less likely to be due to restraining you during the surgery.
Such symptoms are often found in vitamin D and magnesium deficiency.
I suggest you to consult an endocrinologist and get prescribed vitamin D and magnesium supplements. Your symptoms should improve with that. Also eat magnesium rich foods like bananas, beans, chickpeas, fish, nuts, soybeans, spinach etc which are natural sources of magnesium.

Regarding vitamin D levels, you need to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. But these should be taken only after getting your vitamin D levels checked.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 hours later
Thank You Dr. XXXXXXX

If I added the facts, that, left knee inflamed and after having xrays show arthritic problems rt knee hurts and is inflamed from standing and walking. Hips have started to click when walking and painful standing, and walking and muscles surrounding hip underneath and buttock hurt. Would you still agree that your original answer was the same?
What do you think about siatica nerve damage with all of these symptoms? Again since surgery pain is sometimes unbearable- not before the surgery only afterwards.
Can you refer anyone in the Los Angeles, Ca area for me to go to?

Thanks XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms that you have added now are not likely to be due to sciatica. These are more likely to be due to osteoarthritic changes. The appearance of pain only after the surgery can be due to muscle pains. You can consult your general physician who can refer you to an orthopedician in your area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.