Suggest treatment for pain in head and scalp along with swelling behind ear

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have never had allergies, but I think I may have now..... My entire right side of my head hurts, even my scalp. I have swelling behind my right ear that is very tender. Headaches every day.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
This has to be investigated as to why allergy is causing one sided problems

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Allergy causes Nasal symptoms (sneezing, nasal discharge, blockage), Sinusitis, Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD), ear problems, airway symptoms usually on both sides.

2. A one sided headache and swelling behind the ear must be investigated. The swelling behind the ear is likely to be a lymph node. Upload a close-up image of this swelling. Otherwise get it examined so that medication can be started. At the same time, the ear can be examined and the hearing/ middle ear pressure tested. A Neck USG (ultrasound) and mastoid X-rays can also be done if the swelling is lower in the neck to rule out parotid salivary gland selling or mastoiditis.

3. A Neurologist and an ENT Specialist will be able to differentiate between a migraine and a sinus headache. A plain Sinus CT will be useful in ruling out sinusitis.

4. Initially, allergy and the headaches can be controlled easily with anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory medication, steam inhalation and saline nasal washes.

5. If the problem persists, Skin and blood tests can help identify the allergens taht you need to avoid. In some cases desensitization can be attempted over a few years.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist