Suggest treatment for pain and stiffness of arms and shoulders

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My back, tps f both arms and neck feel as thogh I have severe sunbrn and my arms and shoulders are stiff. I have severe carpaltunnek in bth hands and wnder if tis os connected. suffered with carpl tunnel fr 9 months and ther symtoms for 2 monts.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi Erikasmith

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

How was your day?
Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I generally see many cases like this at my clinic and we have found out that almost all the patients had associated neck disc prolapse/ nerve compression.

In your case,there are 3 possibilities-
POSSIBILITY 1. SOFT TISSUE INFLAMMATION- there may be no bony involvement,only the soft tissues around the neck might be inflammed that may be causing the pain

POSSIBILITY 2. NEUROPATHY- there may be a partial or complete swelling of the nerves in that region that may be the root cause of such kind of pain.This presents itself like a carpal tunnel.

POSSIBILITY 3. DISC PROLAPSE-there may be a compressed a nerve in the region somewhere that might be causing radiating pain in those regions.Possibility of a disc prolapse should be kept in mind.

I suggest you get an Xray as well as an MRI neck done to find out the exact cause.

It may well be that the pain in hands you are talking about, ( labelled as carpal tunnel ) may be due to a nerve compressed in the neck.
If carpal tunnel and neck problem are different, you need to take treatment for both separately.

So, i would like to know,what tests have you undergone to confirm that you have a carpal tunnel syndrome.mri/nerve conduction studies ?

i suggest,dont be in a hurry to get operated for carpal tunnel syndrome, because, if the neck pain,and disc prolapse is the reason for pain, the surgery wont give you pain relief, and you will damage your tissues in hand.
First confirm carpal tunnel syndrome and get a neck mri done.

Physiotherapy,analgesics,anti-inflammatory drugs should help till then

Do get back to me after ur reports are ready.     

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.

I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil,
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 33 minutes later
I have an appointment with my gp at the end of this week and will discuss your comments with him.

kind regards
xxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
thanks

Detailed Answer:
hi XXXXXXX .
welcome back..
Thanks for having faith in me.

will wait for your feedback after your gp visit.
Do share whats been advised.

thanks
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion. Wish you a good health.Have a great day : )

Take care,God bless.

YOUR RATING FOR THIS ANSWER MATTERS A LOT AND WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj