Suggest treatment for non-displaced tibial plateau fracture

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I have a un displaced plateau tibia fracture..how long does it take to heal..I have been walking on it..the injury happened 3 weeks ago.did I do more harm by walking on it..they did an xray and did not see it...it was a posterior fracture..so why did it not show up on the x ray.I just had an MRI two days ago..I also have a shallow lateral meniscus tear. Will these heal so I can return to my elliptical machine. How long do I wait?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI is a more sensitive test.

Detailed Answer:
If the fracture is still undisplaced 3 weeks after the injury then an absolute immobilization may not be necessary. You can use a knee brace for the stability of the joint. Walking on it could have caused displacement and delayed healing.
X-rays cannot detect minor undisplaced fractures. MRI scan is the best investigation for such injuries.
The lateral meniscus tear will also heal in 2-3 weeks with rest and brace. You need to wait for at least 4-6 weeks before starting with the elliptical machine again.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
On the MRI it showed moderate swelling should I still have swelling..is that dangerous..will it eventually go down ..will I be able to bend my leg again..a shallow meniscus tear should heal without problems right? Anything else I should be taking or doing to ensure that my knee heals properly? Thanks so much!
The lateral tear was still seen on the MRI three weeks after injury..it is a horizontal tear that is shallow..is there enough blood supply in a shallow tear to heal it..or will I need to have the doc trim it
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The moderate swelling is common after an injury. Rest will help in decreasing the swelling. You will be able to bend the leg again after it has all healed in few weeks.
A shallow meniscus tear should heal with rest.
You can avoid weight bearing and do a hot compress in the area to encourage the blood circulation and early healing. Multivitamin and calcium supplements and a high protein diet will also help.
The blood supply is usually enough in shallow tear. In case it remains unhealed we can plan for surgery later after the fracture has healed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.