Suggest treatment for nasal bleeding and pressure sensation around left eye

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Woke up this morning with the left side of my nose bleeding? It stopped after i blew it. Do i have a sinus infection? I feel some pressure around the left eye

Also should i use a nose spray?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,sinusitis may also cause nose bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Yes,sinusitis may cause nose bleeding but it needs to be evaluated further whether you are having sinusitis or not.

It can be diagnosed clinically by taking medical history and clinical examination with some routine blood works.

Generally nose bleeding are not serious and can be stopped without specific medical intervention.

However,you can use nasal spray (otrivin-xylometazoline nasal spray) to stop nose bleeding (if bleeding occurs again). It works by narrowing the small blood vessels in the nose area and thus reduces bleeding and nasal congestion.

But the best way to stop nasal bleed is to pinch the nose tight for 5 to 10 min and to breathe from the mouth during that time.

Drugs like Botroclot 4 drops into the nasal cavity also helps in stoppage of the bleeding.

In case, bleeding occurs again or if it is not stopping easily ,I will advise you to approach the ER, it may require nasal packing to control the bleeding.

Hope this will help you.feel free to ask if you have more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina