Suggest treatment for muscle tightness and discomfort in the neck

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son is an athlete, right now he plays golf, and is also doing basketball workouts. Yesterday he started with some tightness and discomfort in his lower neck. He played a match of golf and it seemed okay, then when he was done, it became really tight again. This morning he was really tight feeling, but he went to the gym to shoot before school. and now sitting in school he says that it is tight all through his shoulders and upper arms and even hurts. Should he see a dr?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
depends

Detailed Answer:
In most cases somethingn like this is just a muscle spasm and would work itself out over the next few weeks if he just decreases his activity and rests. Because he is an athlete he may want to see a doctor.
Here are some things that he can try.
Make sure he is drinking plenty of water. Have him take a multivitamin daily. Have him use warm compresses or a heating pad on the area for 15 minutes 3 times a day and then stretch out the muscles after that.
If it is severe the doctor may give him a muscle relaxant or send him to a physical therapist.
I hope this is helpful.
Dr. Robinson