• question-icon

Suggest treatment for motility disorder and gastritis

Posted on Tue, 6 Dec 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I got diagnosed with motility disorder and gastritis and reflux what does all this mean?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastoesophageal Reflux disoorder - GERD

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
The most commonest cause for repeated problems with acidity considering your young age would be following
1. Irregular food habits
2. Stress and worry
3. Weather: Hot weather may worsen the symptoms

As far as medical treatment is concerned, I would start proton pump inhibitors like esomeprazole ) once a day along with antacids for 2-3 weeks. These should take care of acute hyperacidity treatments.
Antacids that neutralize stomach acid. Antacids, such as Maalox, Mylanta, Gelusil, may provide quick relief
Medications to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter - Baclofen may decrease the frequency of relaxations of the lower esophageal sphincter and therefore decrease gastroesophageal reflux.
However, long term management is with diet and life style change. They include:
1. Avoiding unnecessary medications especially over the counter pain medicines.
2. Taking regular food. Prefer small and frequent food instead of 3 large meals a day.
3. Look forward to dietary triggers that induce hyperacidity and avoid it. Common triggers are high spicy diet, deep fried and smoked food, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, coffee/tea, etc. Smoking is also a trigger. Avoid them if you have any such triggers.
4. Drink plenty of water
5. Make sure you sleep adequately.

Most GERD can be controlled through medications. In situations where medications aren't helpful or you wish to avoid long-term medication use, your doctor may recommend more-invasive procedures.So consult your near by physician for further evaluation.

Dr Priyanka
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist