Suggest treatment for mild inflammation of tendons

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have an MRI result here but can't see my Orthopedic doctor until 8/11. Have had this pain for several weeks now and Urgent Care has put me on pain meds but in the meantime could you explain the meaning of the findings. Can I email you the sheet?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are suffering from tendon & bursa inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your findings in detail.
You have benign findings and it is easily manageable.

You are suffering from mild inflammation of tendons(structure that join bones to muscles)in gluteal region.Changes are both sided involving greater trochanter (bony landmark of femur).Tendinitis occurs when a muscle is overused and pulls on the tendon that attaches it to the bone.
There are also inflammation of bursa in trocanteric region.Bursa is a pad that contains fluid and allows tendons to glide more easily over bony prominences.

You are also suffering from age related mild osteoarthritis changes in hip joint.

Your condition should be manged conservatively.
You should take rest from your activities,especially which are causing the strain.
You can also use ice and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines(NSAIDS) to treat inflammation.
A pack of ice and damp cloth covered bag applied every one to two hours can also provide excellent relief of pain.
You also need physiotherapy in the form of exercise,hot therapy and massage.
Steriod are used in refractory cases.

It is good that there are no fracture or dislocation.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 36 minutes later
So, should I go to the Orthopedic Dr. and get orders for phsyiotherapy or is a stationary bycicle (one that has chair type seat on it) good enough to do at home?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

Yes,you need to be examined by a orthopedician.
please do physiotherpy under guidance of a physiotherapist.
You need variety of stretching exercises.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj