Suggest treatment for meningioma

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 29 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Doctor:

As you know from my history, had MRI 3 months ago and it was noted with a meningioma to the right frontal lobe (convexity) approximately 11mm. Had a very large meningioma about 5-6cm to the left side of my head 23 years ago which was successfully removed. I saw a neurologist who told me that this new meningioma is not to worry and need to f/u in one year. I then consulted with a neurosurgeon and wants to repeat mri soon since it's been 3 months since the last one to see if there is any change and not to wait one year. If there is even a slight change, then I would need it removed with a non-invasive procedure using smaller instruments. Not sure what procedure he is referring to?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
He probably referred to radiosurgery.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, your neurosurgeon most probably meant radiosurgery. In this treatment procedure, there is no surgery involved. It involves giving radiation therapy by "a gamma knife". This treatment is successful in patients with small meningiomas (<3 cm in size).

On a different note, I would wait and watch if there is no significant increase in size of meningioma.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D