Suggest treatment for lump behind painful ear, sore throat and numbness around cheeks

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 18 Dec 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: ENT

I HAVE A LUMP BEHIND MY EAR THAT HASNT GONE AWAY FOR 2 MONTHS NOW I HAVE EAR PAIN AND I HAVE NUMBNESS AROUND THE CHEEKS, I HAVE A SORE THROAT AND AT TIMES SPEECH PROBLEMS I FEEL TINGLING IN MY THROAT AND TONGUE AND TODAY I WOKE UP WITH A SWOLLEN LIP

I HAVE TAKEN ANTIBIOTICS AS MY ENT DOCTOR SUGGESTED JAW BONE INFLAMMATION BUT NO IMPROVEMENT AND I WENT TO THE DENTIST AND HE SAID I HAVE TO REMOVE MY WISDOM TOOTH I AM A SMOKER

over the last few days i also felt a sensation through my right sinus
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having URTI with dental infection

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having upper respiratory track infection with dental infection .

If I were your treating doctor , I would advice
Steam inhalation twice daily ,
Antiseptic Mouth Wash twice daily like betadine ,
Tab Motrin (ibuprofen) for pain with swelling ,
Antihistaminic Tab Claritin (Loratadine 10mg) at night for sinus &
continue antibiotic as prescribe by ENT.

Lump behind ear is most probably mastoid process . Ear pain may be because of mastoiditis or refer dental pain .

Consider for WISDOM TOOTH removal if dental infection is more .

You will get relief .
You will need to see your doctor to get a prescription.

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 14 minutes later
thank you Dr, how do you explain the swelling of the lower lip ? is that due to the dental infection? is that not a possible side effect of clindamycin?

bleeding under the lip
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it is dental infection , need examination .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.

If swelling involve lower lip with floor of mouth under the tongue then it could be due dental infection .

If swelling involves both lips then it could be due to Hypersensitivity to clindamycin .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T