What causes swelling on the lower lip?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: I have swollen lower lip this morning. I have recently been to my doctor thinking I had virile infection in mouth where I had small white blisters that arose. they subsided and my dentist thought I had symptoms that arise in women 40-60 caused by stress. He prescribed kenasol with orabase for the blisters in mouth. my tasted buds are whacky now for two weeks, nothing taste very good. still have swollen places in side cheeks. but s alarmed to awaken with swollen lip. I have made no changes in toothpaste, mouthwash or anything. no fever.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sounds like angioedema

Detailed Answer:
It definitely sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to something. While we often think that we cannot be having an allergic to something we have used for a while, actually you can become allergic to anything at any time.
Lip swelling is classic for a condition called angioedema. This is a swelling that happens in the deep tissues. If you do a google search for angioedema and look at images you will see lots of swollen lips.
You will need to work closely with your doctor to figure out the cause. If you become short of breath you will need to go by ambulance to Emergency.
This can be caused by foods, topical products or environmental exposures (even like mown grass). If your doctor cannot figure this out you may need to see an allergist.
Take an antihistamine, like benadryl and use cool compresses (not ice) on the swelling.
See a doctor as soon as possible.
Dr. Robinson