Suggest treatment for lower back pain, chronic headache and swollen ankle and knee

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am obese myself, have chronic tension headaches since I was in my teens, and my back is in almost constant pain. I'm seeing my orthopedic doc
tomorrow, and will ask him to order xrays or anything else on my back. I have a small bit of arthritis in my right hip. I just got upper denture a couple or 3 weeks ago. *( NOTE: Around July 18,2016 my orthopedic doctor decided I should start physical therapy, but no xrays or scan on my back. Before I could start the PT though, my sciatic nerve from my left buttock to the calf muscle, attacked me! I am doing physical therapy twice a week now, but am still in a LOT of pain.) My lower back from one hip to the other is almost constant pain, and now almost my entire left
leg is involved..........I have also had my left little finger gone numb in the past few months. Also, during the same time frame, my lower legs (knee to ankles) have red splotches all over them, and I can't stand to be touched very hard in those areas. It feels like both legs have bruising under the skin. (I went to have a pedicure, and when the technician started to massage my legs, I jumped straight out of my chair) Most recently, in the last few months, both ankles are swollen with the right ankle worse, and my right knee swelled to twice it's size a few days ago for an unknown reason. It feels like I turned 60, and my whole body stopped working right. Now, my GP wants to send me to a Pain Specialist. But I am more concerned about the whole picture. Not just the pain I feel. Almost continuously. I could use some guidance as to which of these things should be my top priority. I know the PT is very important, but it's a slow process. And I'm almost out of pain meds.

This is just FYI from a part of my medical history.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated and examined by a neurologist and rheumatologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Joint swelling in ankle, knee may be rheumatological or immune mediated.
Low back pain needs to be evaluated by Mri or xray of lumbosacral region.
Joint disease may also involve spine too.
You need to visit a rheumatologist and Neurologist for detailed examination and investigation.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Continue medications till then.
Physiotherapy under guidance may be started.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina