Suggest treatment for lower abdominal cramps and constipation

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: For the past six months or so I have been having lower abdominal cramping with constipation or diahrrea. clear to yellow mucus, intermittent pain and nausea, rectal pain...mostly and worse at night, increasing in frequency. Frequent gas and bloating. Sometimes the pain and cramping is so severe I can't stand up straight. Past history...hysterectomy many years ago, diverticulosis, "twisted colon".
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diverticulitis or inflammatory bowel disease

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern about GI symptoms
1) Your present symptoms are indicative of repeat episode of diverticulitis or inflammation in lower part of large intestine.
2) Either of these condition produce mucus discharge in stool, lower abdominal cramp type pain, alternate constipation or diarrhea.
3) Bloating might be due to inflammation related indigestion.
4) You might require colonoscopy to confirm the diagnosis with delineating extent and severity of condition.
5) You may take medications for relief of symptoms i.e. anti-colic medication for pain (Tab Drotin), antimotility medication to reduce frequency of stool (Tab Loperamide).

Hope I answered your query. If you have any further doubts, I would be happy to help you.
Have a good day!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 12 minutes later
Not likely to be IBS or UC then? How serious can this be or become?
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UC is type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

Detailed Answer:
IBS and UC are different.
UC is type of inflammatory bowel disease which I mentioned in previous answer and I am suspecting this as one of differential diagnosis.
IBS is irritable bowel syndrome and mucus discharge would not be there in IBS.
Severity of condition depends on extent of disease and for this colonoscopy is must.
But based on past history of diverticulitis and twisted colon, I am suspecting non-specific inflammation of diverticula and adjacent large intestine rather than UC. Although this is my assumption based on your history, final diagnosis might be different
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana