Suggest treatment for low hemoglobin levels

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am anemic and maintain a hemoglobin of about 10 for the last several years. My anisocytosis is moderate, ovalocytes are present, large platelets - small acoording to most recent blood work. I had bariatric surgery in 2003 aand have had a hard time maintain Vit D, Calcium, Iron levels for about the last 6 years. I am absorbing calories (weight gain) but not vitamins and minerals. I am 48 and had a partial hysterectomy at 29 so I'm not losing iron through menstration. What does all this mean to me as to long term damage to my body?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Has your stool and urine been tested!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry too hear about this difficulty maintaining normal Hemoglobin levels. Have you had a comprehensive iron study that evaluates the body's iron stores? If this is shows that you do not have enough iron stores, then you are probably unable to absorb enough iron from your guts or you are persistently loosing iron through your urine or feces. I will suggest that you get your urine and feces tested for possible explanation.

If there is no iron loss through feces and urine, then the guts have difficulties absorbing enough iron from food and supplements. Should you have anemia related symptoms, you can ask your doctor about the possibility of having intravenous iron administration to maintain normal iron levels and maintain a good hemoglobin level.

Hemoglobin levels of 10 are not bad. They would have no longterm consequences on the body. Also, the body adjusts to lower levels of hemoglobin if this goes on for long. There are no reasons you should be afraid of at this time unless you have symptoms.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.