question-icon

Suggest treatment for loose stool in an infant

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: My baby boy is born on 14 Feb 2016 and is suffering from loose motion more than 10 times a day.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Feed well and give enterogermina ampule, watch for dehydration

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Can understand your concerns.

Your baby is 16 days old and is passing stools 10 times per day is a matter of concern.
Causes of loose stools in baby are bottle feeding, top milk feeding.
Examination is necessary in such a small child so that we don't miss any important finding like dehydration.
In my opinion, you should give prebiotic like enterogermina ampule once a day for 3 days, give breastfeeding more frequently to child.
If child is passing less than 6 times urine or has decreased activity then he may require hospitalisation.
Start prebiotic and get your child examined by a doctor.
I hope this will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician