Suggest treatment for loose motion in a 5 month old child

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 1 Jul 2016 in Child Health
Question: hi, my son is 5 months old and weighs 7 kgs. for past one week, he is having loose motion and passing very frequently. we have been giving him 5ml of z&d drops and 2.5ml of nutrolin-b three days now. yesterday he passed only three times. but today since morning, he already passed three times and the stool is slightly greenish. the child is active and he is passing urine 6-7 times. please let me know whether I can continue the same medication. please advise
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue same medicines for three days

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to this forum.
Can understand your concern.

Z & d drops contain 20 mg in 1 ml, at 5 months we give only 0.5 ml of z & d drops.

Nutrolin-b is a probiotic and maintains normal flora of gastrointestinal tract.

If child is feeding well and is improving then there is no need to start antibiotic.

I think that you should continue above drugs for three more days.

I hope this helps.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 13 hours later
hi, Thanks for the timely advice. sorry Its a typo error. we are giving 0.5ml of zinc only. the frequency is coming down day by day, but the stool color is greenish. is there any thing to Worry?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's normal

Detailed Answer:

As I have explained earlier that green stools is a normal thing. It occurs due to less transit time of milk in gastrointestinal tract.

Don't worry about green stools.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad