Suggest treatment for leg cramps and hair fall while on Amlodipine

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I take amlodipine for 10 years andit has taken out my hair and leg cramp 5mp I want to chance. What is the best meds for me without side effect \. I am 77 years old.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Hair fall and leg cramps are a known adverse effect related to calcium channel blockers. But, the dose of amlodipine that you have been taking is a really low dose.

That is why, I would recommend performing some blood lab tests (complete blood count for anemia, blood electrolytes, vitamin D plasma levels, uric acid levels) in order to exclude other possible causes that may lead to this clinical scenario.

If these tests result normal, and amlodipine remains the main cause of your complaints, I would recommend switching to an ARB (losartan, valsartan) to help you manage your blood pressure.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri