Suggest treatment for lack of ejaculation while on treatment for kidney stone

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello
I'm too embarrassed to ask this of my own doc - but maybe you can put my mind at ease.

Last Saturday i had a Kidney stone attack. I was treated in the ER. I'm still under treatment and waiting for the stone to pass. Yesterday I was sore, but reasonably okay, so my wife thought if we had sex I might feel better - Or maybe even jar the stone loose. So we did - but when I had an orgasm - no semen came out? Nothing at all? I could feel the pumping inside - but nothing actually came out! So I have to say - it scared me quite a bit wondering where it went, and why this happened?

Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is mostly due to Retrograde Ejaculation (Side effect of drug Tomsulosin)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have severe pain in abdomen due to kidney stone and has been taking treatment for the same .You had intercourse yesterday and noticed that you did not ejaculate at all.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Are you taking any medication that contains Tomsulosin or Siladosin?

Normally we prescribe drug Tomsulosin a smooth muscle relaxant to
help to pass the kidney or urerteric stone down .This drug relaxes the bladder neck and keeps it open.

During normal ejaculation bladder neck gets closed and urethral sphincter opens so semen enters in to urethra and gets ejaculated through penis .

However if one is taking Tomsulosin bladder neck remains open so the semen instead of moving forward moves backwards and enters into bladder what is called as Retrograde Ejaculation and one does not ejaculate outside at all.

Do not worry this will get resolved once you stop taking Tomsulosin .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
YES! I am taking Flomax which does exactly what you describe….

Thank you - I was very worried. I haven't had sex since. Is there now a great risk of infection to my bladder because the semen went into it? Is there anything I should do?

Thank you again very much,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Semen entering in bladder will not cause bladder infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up. Do not worry this will get resolved once you stop taking Flomax.

If you have time you can post your review about my suggestion and comments on forum of Health Care Magic
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.