Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for kidney problem other than kidney transplantation

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 92 Questions
Respected sir,we are from XXXXXXX and my father in law(57yr old,not diabetic) is suffering from kidney problem,currently his cretnine is around 7, kindly let me know that how long its take for the kidney transplant and after transplant for how many days patient have to be in hospital and before transplant and as near by relatives are not interested in donating there kidney then whats the best option you can suggest. We have arranged a donor but in XXXXXXX we find difficulty in transplanting.some are suggesting us colombo, iran, kolkatta...As out of country transplant will be very high cost affair, sir wats the best solution you will suggest?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
First dialysis..

Detailed Answer:
YES. He needs kidney transplantation. He can go for it. But not immediately. As his creatinine is only 7, he can wait and get prepared for dialysis. He should be thoroughly prepared and keep himself fit medically and as well as physically. He can get AV fistula ready for dialysis. He need to be initiated on dialysis at an appropriate time . Then you can plan for transplant.

In our country (India), only parents, siblings, children and spouse can donate kidneys. Any other kind of transplantation is illegal except the one approved by authorization committee. I personally don't advice such "unrelated " transplant as they are not go even medically. Chances of rejections as well as infection will be high which can lead to an early mortality. Similarly, such tranaplsnts in other countries are also illegal and unethical. Let him be on adequate hemodilaysis or CAPD which can keep him well for 12-15 years and above. He can register locally in cadaver transplant programme. ( ORBO of XXXXXXX at New Delhi).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor