Suggest treatment for kidney problem other than kidney transplantation

Nephrologist
Question
Respected sir,we are from XXXXXXX and my father in law(57yr old,not diabetic) is suffering from kidney problem,currently his cretnine is around 7, kindly let me know that how long its take for the kidney transplant and after transplant for how many days patient have to be in hospital and before transplant and as near by relatives are not interested in donating there kidney then whats the best option you can suggest. We have arranged a donor but in XXXXXXX we find difficulty in transplanting.some are suggesting us colombo, iran, kolkatta...As out of country transplant will be very high cost affair, sir wats the best solution you will suggest?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
First dialysis..

Detailed Answer:
YES. He needs kidney transplantation. He can go for it. But not immediately. As his creatinine is only 7, he can wait and get prepared for dialysis. He should be thoroughly prepared and keep himself fit medically and as well as physically. He can get AV fistula ready for dialysis. He need to be initiated on dialysis at an appropriate time . Then you can plan for transplant.

In our country (India), only parents, siblings, children and spouse can donate kidneys. Any other kind of transplantation is illegal except the one approved by authorization committee. I personally don't advice such "unrelated " transplant as they are not go even medically. Chances of rejections as well as infection will be high which can lead to an early mortality. Similarly, such tranaplsnts in other countries are also illegal and unethical. Let him be on adequate hemodilaysis or CAPD which can keep him well for 12-15 years and above. He can register locally in cadaver transplant programme. ( ORBO of XXXXXXX at New Delhi).