Suggest treatment for joint pain and stiffness in knee

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My mother is having problem in her left knee. She is having problem in walking and during sitting and standing. Her age is 64 and weight 62kg. She has thairoid and BP problem for which she is taking medicine. I am attaching pictures of her knee.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Osteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query. Is is due to Osteoarthritis ..I hope this answers your query.
These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician..I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly