Suggest treatment for jaundice

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 27 Jan 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi Dr.
My name is XXXXXX. I am suffering from Jaundice and it has been more than two month. The point of Bilirubin was reduced from 3.88 to 1.7 and then again it increased to 2.9 and last week i again checked my bilirubin and the level again reduced to 2.2. Every day morning my urine color is dark yellow but after that all the day its normal in color. My stool is also sometime thinner. And i want to rejoin my work and college. So why my urine is dark yellow only in the morning and can i rejoin my college and work. Bcause I have already taken 2 months leave. And from when i will again start to eat non-veg and sea food. How much time will it take to recover from jaundice.
Regards.
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Approx 6 weeks needed to clear your jaundice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir

i understand your query and concern.

You still seem to have not recovered from the liver illness.

To notify you, the biochemical/lab recovery lags behind clinical recovery in case of most liver disorders.

You seem to be in this reparative phase of your illness, you need not be worried of which.

The early morning yellowish colour of your urine is due to release of overnight broken down bilirubin into urine.

For similar reasons, the changes in stool occur.

I advise you to wait for another 4-6 weeks before you take complete non vegetarian and seafood.

It approximately takes 6 weeks from here on to completely resolve from jaundice.

You can currently rejoin your work and college.

Post your further queries, if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Thnk u very much..while doing my sonography..all the parts i.e. liver, gall bladder were normal, also sometime there is a little pain in stomach...but after eating food it gets normal...
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
UGIE is needed to rule out Peptic ulcer disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I understand your concern.

By sonographic evidence active liver pathology can be ruled out.

Association of pain with food prompts for effective search of any undetected peptic ulcer disease in your case.

This needs careful search in the form of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy/UGIE.

Peptic ulcer disease,if undiagnosed and treated can lead to delay in the resolution of jaundice.

Post your further queries,if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
My job is a little outside work in the sunlight. So here everyone is frightening me a little bit of sunlight can increase your jaundice. Is that true?
Which type of buscuit can I eat?
What should be my diet? Dr. Please give me some tips for tasty food that can be easily consumed.
Can I eat idli?
Thanks and regards.
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sun exposure do not increase jaundice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I understand your query and concern.

Sun exposure will not increase your jaundice. Its a myth.
It will increase the skin itching in patients with high levels of bilirubin (>10 mg/dl) due to deposition of excess bilirubin in the skin causing photosensitivity.

You can eat all fruits, preferably apple, pomegranate, strawberries, avocado.

You can certainly take all steamed foods like Idli.

Avoid all fried and fatty stuff.

Consume oatmeal for breakfast.

Drink 3-4 liters of water/day.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari