Suggest treatment for inflammatory acne that leaves pits and dark spots

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've had acne for 6 years now. they leave pits and scars and dark spots. at ant point of time I have atleast 5 active pimples. they are painful, start deep within my skin and take weeks to surface.

could you please suggest a topical treatment?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I suggest oral antiacne medications in addition to topical preparations

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

You seem to have inflammatory acne i.e acne that is red, painful, pustular Or nodular.
Topical treatment for Inflammatory acne would include an antiacne antibacterial gel e.g either clindamycin 1% gel Or benzoyl peroxide 2.5% gel, for day time use.
You may use these either once Or twice daily, only as a spot treatment for active acne. Not for marks/ dark spots left over by acne.

For night application I would suggest that you use adapalene 0.1% gel. Adapalene is a topical retinoid. It is comedolytic in action and is effective in all grades of acne i.e non-inflammatory as well as inflammatory acne.
Adapalene gel should be applied as a thin film to whole affected/ acne prone area.
Adapalene also prevents new acne on account of it being comedolytic and is therefore also effective as a maintenance treatment for acne.

If I was the treating doctor I would have also started you on one of the oral antiacne antibiotic e.g either doxycycline Or minocycline or lymecycline.
Oral antiacne antibiotics are very effective in bringing inflammatory acne under control and are usually advised in addition to topical antiacne medications that I mentioned above.

Moreover since your acne are deep and nodular you are an ideal candidate for Oral retinoids e.g Isotretinoin.
Isotretinoin is US FDA approved for moderate to severe grade of inflammatory acne Or acne that is prone to scaring Or acne that is not responding to traditional antiacne drugs Or acne that is severely affecting the psychology of patient.
The only contraindication for isotretinoin is that it should be avoided during pregnancy or in females who could get pregnant during treatment with Isotretinoin.

In addition to topical and Oral treatment for acne you may also opt for a few sessions of salicylic acid chemical peeling from a dermatologist.
Salicylic acid is comedolytic, decreases sebum production and therefore effective in acne.

These are all prescription products and therefore I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your vicinity for the needful.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist