Suggest treatment for inflamed boil on lower back

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have an extremely Large and inflamed boil on my lower back (right side) and the pain is that bad, it goes round onto the right side of my torso to the point where it is painful to sit or walk. I was using an antibiotic cream on it and savlon cream but the pain got worst to the point where I decided to try and drain it, when it was squeezed an extremely large amount of puss came out of it, but the pain from doing so was so bad to the point of nearly passing out, what else can be done to heal the boil??? it is around 3-4 inches in diameter
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires oral Antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

As you have mentioned it is around 3-4 inches diameter after squeezing the boils is a bigger raw area which should be managed properly.

I would suggest you to follow
1.If Inj TT is not taken in last five years, you need to take one shot of TT injection.
2.Oral Antibiotics like Tab Augmentin, twice daily for atleast five days.
3.Analgesics and Anti inflammatory like NSAIDs, Ibuprofen can be taken twice daily.
4.Wound should be cleaned and dressed with Oint T Bact (Antibiotics) daily, which will fasten the healing.

The symptoms will improve with these measures, if the symptoms are not improving you need some lab investigations like CBC, Pus culture and blood culture and sensitivity.

Please discuss these instructions along with your doctor.

Hope you will be fine in few days with aforementioned treatment.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 15 hours later
What is TT injection? (Tetnis), Also would Amoxiciline antibiotics do
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tetanus injection to prevent tetanus

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for follow up query,

Inj Tetanus Toxoid is given to prevent Tetanus, as you have squeezed the wound with your finger nails it could impart tetanus spores. Taking this injection will protect you against tetanus.

Amoxiciine Antibiotics helps to prevent infection, as the pus drained from your wound. This medication will make that area sterile and prevent further infection and fasten the healing process.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju