Suggest treatment for infection in belly button of an infant

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi sir,
I am XXXXXXX my female baby is 36 days from birth by c-section delivery. She had her umbilical cord fall off after 5 days post delivery. We completely healed the wound in the next 2 weeks. Suddenly we saw pus in the next few days from the area , then it was also completely cleaned. Now belly button seems to be an outie with watery yellowish discharge and FYI she is constipating for bowel movement during such times we see the button reddish ,swollen .Please suggest us what to do and when it will be healed?

Please find attached file for your reference. The previous message might have had a corrupted file.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should consult a paediatrician.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I have seen your baby reports, in my opinion she is suffering from mild infection of umblical cord.
This infection caused by normal skin bacteria.
It can be healed within 2-3 weeks but you should follow these advices-
1) Keep the area clean and dry, use wet cotton to clean the umblical cord then keep it dry after it.
2) You can put neosporin powder over it.
3) Avoid contact of diaper, urine and faecal matter.
4) Avoid tub bath.
5) Do not use alcohol.
Please follow my advice if your baby not responding to this treatment then please consult your treating paediatrician.
I think I have answered your query if you have further questions I will be happy to help you.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj