Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for infection caused after a hernia surgery

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
My son had hernia surgery a while ago and has an infection in the where the surgery was done .He has no family doctor to go to I know he needs to see one can you help him out?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Can you please send a photo of the wound? It will be much easier to help you. I need you also to answer few questions first: - when was the surgery done? - does he have any pain when touching the wound? - is the wound area hard and warm? - any discharge from the wound, and if yes, is it clear, bloody or pus-like - does he have any scrotum swelling, testis pain? - is there any fever Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for infection caused after a hernia surgery 12 minutes later
Surgery was done first one was 18 yrs ago 2nd was 14 years ago Yes there is pain when touched yes it is hard and warm discharge is bloody and pus like Yes there is some swelling sometimes
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Generally so many years after a surgery an infection is very rare. And if it appears, usually is caused by stitches and/or mesh which was left there. The symptoms indicate that the infection might be serious (hard to tell not seeing it). And if it is a mesh reaction, another surgery will be necessary. The other thing is that infected area is close to the tests. This makes any infection in this area able to affect testis. And if left untreated can lead to testis necrosis. Please ask your son to visit a surgeon and do not wait any longer. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor