• question-icon

Suggest treatment for kidney stone

Posted on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am a gym enthusiast and have been working out for many years now. I take a scoop of whey protein after my workouts (one scoop a day,5 days a week). I was wondering if using creatine would affect my kidneys in any way. I'm thinking of taking 5g of creatine a day. I have a history of kidney stones, hence,I'm worried that taking creatine will have an adverse impact on my kidneys. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would advise against using creatine .

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have read the history and noted your apprehension regarding creatine use.
I fully endorse your thoughts about using extra creatine in your diet to build up muscles. Personally and medically I would strongly advise against use of creatine of even whey proteins, particularly since you already have kidney stones. We have seen cases of other problems like hip necrosis etc. I would suggest that you take more of normal diet rich in proteins.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon