• question-icon

Suggest treatment for infected wound on leg

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: 1/2" puncture wound on on edge of foreleg bone, caused by fall onto sewer drain cleaner, 8 months ago. The wound has never completed healing; it became infected, then would fester, scab over, lose the scab by hitting something, would secrete a puss of thick white stuff, then swell up 1/2'' and burst again. I have kept it well covered with 6to1 antibiotic cream (Walgreens) but it shows no sign of healing. Has been sore since day 1, never did bleed very much, but is getting sorer by the week, and the puss has a nasty yellowish tint and a foul odor. Can you suggest a home treatment, or is MD care the answer?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteomyelitis should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Osteomyelitis ( infection ) into bone should be ruled out in your case. For this X ray eexamination of the area and a consultation with orthopedic surgeon should be done. Swab from the wound should be taken for microbiology examination , culture and sensitivity.
Local debridement of wound and irrigation will be needed. So home treatment is not advised initially. Antibiotics should be taken according to the culture report of swabs fro the wound. Initially injection antibiotic might be required.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN