Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

154 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for hypertension

Answered by
Dr. Prasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 2628 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: for almost 6 months of monitoring my BP it is normally 90/68 at rest and 120/82 XXXXXXX on rare occasions, I do tela health with the VA. I had a stent that was occluded by scar tissue repaired last Thursday felt great for 2 days, now my BP is running 130-150/80-96 checking every hour and my head hurts constantly. Never have been hypertensive, the event that took me in for the stent repair was shortness of breath, during my eval my bp ran 180/90 - 150/80 and then 112/70 when I mentioned my concerns to the attending he ignored me like it was not a problem, then spent 6 hrs running test for no cardiac issues and after finally insisting it was cardiac related and insisted I see a cardiologist I received the care needed. afraid his will be ignored again if I seek help and if its an issue I would like to know so I can advocate for proper care

Is this a problem that needs immediate attention
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consider visiting a cardiologist...

Detailed Answer:

From your description, I believe we are talking about coronary artery stents repair here. We sometime see an elevated blood pressure readings after recent procedure. However blood pressures of 112/70mmHg is perfectly normal.

I understand you have had slightly lower blood pressure readings in the past. But irrespective of previous blood pressure readings, we start using antihypertensive drugs when BP numbers are consistently above 140/90mm Hg. I did notice you had a few readings above normal. But I was not alarmed as it went down to normal very soon.

Having said that, I suggest you see a cardiologist who can check heart rate and blood pressure. It is beneficial to start betablocker (if you have no history of asthma) in patients with previous coronary artery disease with episodes of high blood pressure. Drugs like metaprolol or bisoprolol may be used.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on Asthma

doctor1 MD

my husband had a big operation on his ear 16 years ago he has had angina for 6 years just found out that he has had c o p d over the last 2 or 3 yeas and for the last few months his right nostril has been bleeding he has astma and it was his right ear aswell

doctor1 MD

Hi I have just come out of kalgoorlie hospital after being diagnosed with atrial fibulatiion.Iwas and still are experiencing wheezing and coughing,The doctor said it was a form of cardiac asthma They said there is nothing really i can take to help the wheezing but they did suggest a ventolin puffer Should i be trying something else The cough does not produce any gunk

doctor1 MD

On saturady i felt dizzy, light headed, and weak. I attributed to drinking a 5 hour energy and drinking alcohol. But days later i still have those symptons off and on. What could possibly causing this. I am 32, 6 2, 210lbs ,asthma only medical condition

doctor1 MD

Dear doc, I am 63 years female person. I have regular diabetic type 2 medication and my chlorestral, sugar, thryroid etc under control.

I never had a problem like cold, caugh, flu etc.,
but past one year I get constant cough, throat irritation, initialy I had antiboitics, gargle, cough syrup etc mostly bet 5 to 7 days it comes under control.

but this the third time I was severly affected and the experience was torchous. I live in Bangalore, recently I went to Chennai were I was severely affected and on 2nd June I visited a doctor who gave me medicine and I had to return from the station on 3rd june, since I had dizziness, severe cough but not temp. I did not eat 2 or 3 days then I met my family doctor after a very long period, he advised to meet an asthma specialist and he also suggested that I may have phlum in my lungs etc.

Could you kindly advise what specialist I should meet, I am registered with St Johns Bangalore.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My wife seems to be have mumps , her right cheek is swolen and she has pain. She wanted to take Ibuprofen , however the medicine instructions states check with your doctor if you have asthma . do you have any other pain reliever or pain...

doctor1 MD

Good Morning, I am caregiver for my Father who is 95. He has asthma , COPD, just had a stent inserted in his right aortic valve and is due to have a valve replacemt next week. Last thursday he started feeling ill, cough , clight fever, took him to...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, Need your expert advice here,request you to please guide me on this and let me know the further process Medical history 1. Bronchitis asthma 2. Thalassemia Minor 3. Severe Iron deficiency anemia 4. Shoulder pain , muscle pain in...