Suggest treatment for hypertension

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: for almost 6 months of monitoring my BP it is normally 90/68 at rest and 120/82 XXXXXXX on rare occasions, I do tela health with the VA. I had a stent that was occluded by scar tissue repaired last Thursday felt great for 2 days, now my BP is running 130-150/80-96 checking every hour and my head hurts constantly. Never have been hypertensive, the event that took me in for the stent repair was shortness of breath, during my eval my bp ran 180/90 - 150/80 and then 112/70 when I mentioned my concerns to the attending he ignored me like it was not a problem, then spent 6 hrs running test for no cardiac issues and after finally insisting it was cardiac related and insisted I see a cardiologist I received the care needed. afraid his will be ignored again if I seek help and if its an issue I would like to know so I can advocate for proper care

Is this a problem that needs immediate attention
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consider visiting a cardiologist...

Detailed Answer:

From your description, I believe we are talking about coronary artery stents repair here. We sometime see an elevated blood pressure readings after recent procedure. However blood pressures of 112/70mmHg is perfectly normal.

I understand you have had slightly lower blood pressure readings in the past. But irrespective of previous blood pressure readings, we start using antihypertensive drugs when BP numbers are consistently above 140/90mm Hg. I did notice you had a few readings above normal. But I was not alarmed as it went down to normal very soon.

Having said that, I suggest you see a cardiologist who can check heart rate and blood pressure. It is beneficial to start betablocker (if you have no history of asthma) in patients with previous coronary artery disease with episodes of high blood pressure. Drugs like metaprolol or bisoprolol may be used.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.