• question-icon

Suggest treatment for high fever and lethargy in an elderly person

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: My father is 85 years old. We took him to the er 2 weeks ago with high fever, he was lethargic and could not walk. They did blood work, cat scan of his stomach and found nothing. Nothing was wrong with his lungs or heart. They said he was low in sodium, gave him some fluids and sent him home. He is now starting to feel the same way. Not sure what to do. He is not eating but is drinking. His wife, my mother died 1 month ago after being married for 60 years. He's never been sick and takes NO medications.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He might be grieving or getting depressed!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your dad’s information and this raises possible worries with depression or excessive grief. The times are difficult and most especially because he’s lost a longtime wife. partner and close friend. I will suggest that he gets evaluated for grief/depression and given medications to help boost up his moral or look for socially engaging activities rear can get him going again.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Keep me updated on how this turns out after evaluation by his treating doctor.
Dr. Ivo Ditah