Suggest treatment for high blood sugar levels

Endocrinologist
Question
My lymphocyte count was 49 percent of my total blood count. White blood count 6800, lymphocyte count 3343. Red blood cell count 5840. Is this cause for concern, I was bitten by 3 bees a day or two prior to the blood test FYI. My fasting blood sugar was also 106. Been testing is daily since and it falls normally around 85-89 every morning. Should I look further into my blood results. All other counts came in perfecting normal along with liver and kidney function. My CRP was 1.1 % as well.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glucose

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bee stings.

The fasting glucose of 106 is certainly abnormal nut not worrisome high, not even enough to qualify as diabetes. It could be a stress response to the incident, particularly likely so in view of the fact that it is now running in the normal range.

So there is no further need to check it.

However, there are standard guidelines to screen individuals for diabetes annually and if you meet those then periodic checking is advisable. Some of these risk factors include: overweight/obesity and family history of diabetes.

Regarding the blood cell count abnormalities, it appears that your red cell and lymphocyte count are elevated. I recommend retesting and checking with your family doctor or a hematologist

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high blood sugar levels 1 hour later
My red blood cell count according to the lab from which the results came was only .14 percent higher than normal range. Is that even something to be concerned about. My lympohocyte count was also 49% when the acceptable range on these labs read 47%. Is this enough to cause concern? I was bit by 3 bees a day before the blood test and it could have been elevated from my body fighting thr venom?

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
I agree they are minor abnormalities but I still suggest rechecking to document return to normalcy.
Yes the body does react in defense with blood cell responses. But a recheck is in order