• question-icon

Suggest treatment for high BP and pain in the right arm

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello
This question is for de sharka I have now done my 48 hr holter monitor and awaiting results .. I am now scheduled to have a 24 hour blood pressure machine to rule out high blood pressure .. my question is I am unable to wear it on my left arm due to tendinitis pain and I seem to have done something to my right arm at the back sore when I touch or move it back can I still wear it blood pressure machine or will it further damage my arm could it cause blood clot or other issue .. I am waiting to get a X-ray or ultrasound dome to rule it out
Also I am on klopin ant anxiety pill can I still take this when I am wearing blood pressure machine thank u
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back again on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that you should not worry about any blood clot from the blood pressure Holter machine.

It is not supposed to press persistently to your arm. For this reason, it does not cause blood clots.

So, there is no reason to worry about.

The soreness in the arm seems to be musculo-skeletal pain as it is tender to touch. Acetaminophen can help against the pain. It will not interfere with your blood pressure values.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Let me know about everything!

I would be happy to review your test results for a more professional opinion, as soon as you can upload them.

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
So in ur opinion should I get the blood pressure done can I wear it my arm with tendinitis or the other one that is sore another opinion would be to take it at home and reschedule u Gil I get my results from X-ray to rule out anything serious
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear!

You should know that blood pressure Holter does not impose you at any higher risk for thrombosis or blood clots.

It does not interfere with tendinitis or muscular soreness. But, it can irritate a little this area during pressure.

So, I would recommend wearing it in the arm which hurts less.

I would not recommend to postpone this test, because your complaints do not indicate any serious medical condition.

There is no need to perform and further tests as it seems to be just a musculo-skeletal pain.

You will feel better spontaneously. But, acetaminophen can help too. And it does not interfere with the blood pressure Holter results as it does not influence on your blood pressure values.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Hello
The techqnition did not want to have me perform this test it has been rescheduled for next wed .. I will take my blood pressure at home once every other day to keep a journal until I wear the 23 hr one ... my gp is only sending me for this bc she believe my anxiety and white coat syndrom is making it high I have never had high blood pressure in the last 3 years it has been normal last month I had 2 high readings due to panic attacks my last reading at my Dr office was may 31 and it was 110/70 .. so u think I should find someone who will do it quicker or should I be alright I believe I have uploaded my readings for the last few months
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,

I understand the fact that the technician has rescheduled the test for next week. This may be because you are a sensitive person.

But there is no need to hurry. Keeping a diary of your blood pressure values will give a lot of information on your blood pressure fluctuations. So, you can wait until next week for the Holter. So, you will have the time to feel better again (your arms). Besides the pain and inflammation (tendinitis or musculo-skeletal pain) can cause blood pressure fluctuations.

So, maybe it is better wait some days until your blood pressure Holter.

Nothing bad will happen! I assure you about that!

As I already explained to you before, some isolated spikes in blood pressure do not indicate uncontrolled high blood pressure.

I believe too that White Coat Syndrome and anxiety are playing an important role in your blood pressure values.

But, if this is confirmed you do not need any treatment for those blood pressure spikes. They do not cause any harm to your heart or blood vessels.

The blood pressure monitoring will help confirm this. It is not an urgent test.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist