• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hiatus hernia

Posted on Mon, 7 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: What is the treatment for hiatus hernia
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes--We have medical and surgical treatment for Hiatal Hernia!!!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the consultation at my virtual clinic!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can well realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

MEDICAL MANAGEMENT:-
Asymptomatic patients regarding chest discomfort due to sliding hernia, and those with mild disease are manageable medically. Options may be :-
Omeprazole--if doesn't work go for Dexilant.
Go for H.Pylori test. If positive, can be managed medically.

SURGICAL MANAGEMENT:-
Few patients who doesn't respond to medicines and have chest discomfort symptoms, need surgical correction.

Yes there is surgical Mesh Repair of the hiatal hernia through transthoracic or transabdominal approach. This is a good treatment option and laparoscopy has made it more fruitful.

**In the absence of Reflux of stomach acid into esophagus and hernia itself is causing no chest discomfort---No surgical repair is needed unnecessarily.

**In case of symptomatic hernias---Yes we need to repair the hiatal hernia especially if there are acute obstruction symptoms.

Another important fact that you need to keep in mind is:-
**If there is Gastric Volvulus (stomach goes and twists/entangles there inside chest through hiatal opening in diaphragm) then we have to reduce the stomach volvulus and also may need to go for some resection of the stomach.

Medications needed:-
Proton pump inhibitors are also needed alongwith surgical repair to reduce the acid in stomach and to avoid Iron deficiency anemia.

Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you with expert opinion. Please don't forget to give Five Star rating to help me assist my patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up is very necessary regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is a need to change the treatment options. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Always write down my name in the start of your questions at this forum & I will be with you in no time).

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Muhammad Hanif