Suggest treatment for herpes

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have had herpes for many years. I only have an outbreak usually once a year. It has always been in my genital parts but yesterday I felt something at the top of my tail bone and I thought at first something had bitten me several times. However, now it is blistery and bubbled up and very red around it. Can I assume that this is herpes? It is right at the top of my buttocks.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you upload a photograph?

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

I could think of a possibility of Herpes Zoster/Shingles. Herpes genitalis and Herpes Zoster are very different and are caused by different viruses (Herpes genitalis by HSV Type 2, Herpes simplex type 2 virus whereas Shingles is caused by VZV, Varicella zoster virus).

I would be able to confirm the diagnosis if you can upload a photograph of the affected area. Insect bite is a possibility that is to be ruled out.

Treatment of shingles is with an oral antiviral e.g Valtrex 1000mg thrice daily for a week

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
where do I go to upload it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload a photgraph

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Go to the reports section OR you can also email the photograph to the support team with the subject line as "Attention Dr. Kakkar".

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
I just uploaded the best picture I can get.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Shingles is the likely possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The picture is not very clear but this looks like Shingles/Zoster. Grouped vesicles arranged in a stripe pattern on one half of the body.

I would suggest oral Valtrex 1000mg thrice daily for a week.

A topical OTC antibiotic ointment e,g 2% mupirocin twice daily, should also be applied.

An OTC painkiller e.g Ibuprofen twice or thrice daily would provide symptomatic relief from pain and discomfort.