Suggest treatment for herpes

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have had herpes for many years. I only have an outbreak usually once a year. It has always been in my genital parts but yesterday I felt something at the top of my tail bone and I thought at first something had bitten me several times. However, now it is blistery and bubbled up and very red around it. Can I assume that this is herpes? It is right at the top of my buttocks.

Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you upload a photograph?

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

I could think of a possibility of Herpes Zoster/Shingles. Herpes genitalis and Herpes Zoster are very different and are caused by different viruses (Herpes genitalis by HSV Type 2, Herpes simplex type 2 virus whereas Shingles is caused by VZV, Varicella zoster virus).

I would be able to confirm the diagnosis if you can upload a photograph of the affected area. Insect bite is a possibility that is to be ruled out.

Treatment of shingles is with an oral antiviral e.g Valtrex 1000mg thrice daily for a week

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for herpes 8 minutes later
where do I go to upload it?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload a photgraph

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Go to the reports section OR you can also email the photograph to the support team with the subject line as "Attention Dr. Kakkar".

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for herpes 16 minutes later
I just uploaded the best picture I can get.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Shingles is the likely possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The picture is not very clear but this looks like Shingles/Zoster. Grouped vesicles arranged in a stripe pattern on one half of the body.

I would suggest oral Valtrex 1000mg thrice daily for a week.

A topical OTC antibiotic ointment e,g 2% mupirocin twice daily, should also be applied.

An OTC painkiller e.g Ibuprofen twice or thrice daily would provide symptomatic relief from pain and discomfort.