Suggest treatment for hematoma on forehead

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was involved in a car accident 2 weeks ago and obtained a tennis ball size, maybe larger, hematoma on my forehead. I had a CT scan done in ER. My question is the hematoma is still there and now dark and tennis ball size, what should treatment be for it at this point and should I have any concerns?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is possible to drain the hematoma

Detailed Answer:
Hello
thanks for your query

i have seen your photo and the hematoma really looks big.
Expectant management is possible but the risk is super-infection which will be rather very disastrous.

Draining of the hematoma will be good and will not take much for the clots to be removed. This will be the better option from what i see.

Hope this helps you. If you have further query, i will be grateful to help.
Wishing you good health
Dr Achuo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Achuo Ascensius 25 hours later
Why would you say a super infection may happen? Its not an open wound.
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
blood is a rich culture medium for microbes

Detailed Answer:
Hello
thanks once more for the query and sorry it has taken me a little while to get back.

Yes, a super-infection, that is a bacteria infection can superimposed. The point is blood is a rich culture medium for microbes. Microbes can infect a body part either from exterior or by passing through blood circulation. Either way is possible.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query i will be glad to respond.
If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wishing you good health
Dr Achuo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari