Suggest treatment for heart palpitations, heaviness in chest and shortness of breath

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Please help! For the last 11 months I have been experiencing several different symptoms. Sometimes I would get a racing heart, hard to breath, chest heaviness. I have been to the ER for this and they did many tests. I had many EKGs, blood test, stress test, echocardiogram and ultrasound of carotid arteries and everything was normal. I also get where the right side of my face will have the sensation of feeling numb yet when I touch it, I can feel everything. I have had where my right arm and leg feel like it is weak however, I can move them and have complete strength. I feel like I am walking funny like I have to force it yet my husband says that I walk just fine. I get a dizzy/foggy headed feeling. It's like I feel like I have consumed alcohol but I haven't. I have seen a neurologist and he ordered an MRI of my head and neck, an MRA, an MRI of my cervical spine, an EEG, an EMG. He also ordered blood work which included a CBC and metabolic panel, cholesterol, ANA SED rate, checked my vitamin B12 level and magnesium. I have had my thyroid level checked as well and everything has come back normal. I don't know what else to do or what doctor to see. I don't know what other tests I should have. I keep getting these symptoms on the right side of my body. Some background information on me: i am a 42 year old female. I had a complete hysterctomy with bilateral oopherectomy 6 years ago at the age of 35. I have been on estrogen replacement since my surgery. Please help me with any suggestions you may have as to what else I should do to figure this out. I want to feel better but don't know what else to do or what else to check. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psychiatric evaluation

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for the delay in my response.

After having discussed about you with my colleagues I recommend you for a Psychiatric evaluation.

With all the tests mentioned above being normal, the chances of any organic disease are very less.

Hence, it is advisable for you to go for a Psychiatric evaluation to assess the genuinity of the problems in relation to organic functioning in the body.

Please do ask if any doubts.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later
Thank you for getting back to me. You mention psychiatric evaluation for genuinity of the problems in relation to organic functioning in the body...what do you mean by this? I truly feel these symptoms and they are not just in my head. What psychiatric diagnosis do you think this is? I get that mental disorders can cause these symptoms but the one that is most disturbing causing me to think it is medical are the one side of the body symptoms. Like when my face has a numb sensation but only on the right side. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neuropathy

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Please consider that a psychiatric evaluation is not the end of an health investigation. Psychiatric evaluation also focuses on assessing which group of symptoms is bothering you more. Based on that an organ system can be targeted with specific investigations.

As you mentioned numbness on the right side, such problems can be due to neuropathy or pinched nerves.

I would consider it useless prematurely to jump at a conclusion when you have a group of symptoms. Let the psychiatrist counsel you and point out at the real and more troubling symptoms.

Hope, I made it clear.

Wish you good health.

regards,