Suggest treatment for heart murmur and minor aortic regurgitation

Posted on Mon, 6 Apr 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My son is 3. He had a heart murmur that lead us to a diagnosis with Echo of a bicuspid valve. There is no stenosis and there's a slight regurgitation.

I'm very worried about my sons life

How fast does this progress?
Is surgery in his near future?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

As a rule cardiac murmurs and bicuspid aortic waitdoesn't necessarily lead to heart surgery in his later life. However it should be monitored with echography at least once a year especially the progress of aortic regurgitation.

Also you should be aware that bicuspid aortic valve has an increase risk for endocarditis and you should always warn your family doctors for that.

Moreover can you upload the echography results so I can check by myself?

Wish you and your family health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 2 minutes later
Im sorry. But i dont have them. My paperwork says his left and right clasp fused putting him in a more favorable bucket for future. That his aorta has NO damage and his heart function is perfect.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Since there's no aortic valve damage you shouldn't worry. Minor aortic regurgitation is a common finding in patient with aortic bicuspid valves.

My advice is only a regular follow up every year.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Do these things develop and require surgery in the teens and 20s?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You shouldn't worry it wouldn't require surgery in early 20's. The only thing she will require are regularly follow up.

Wish you and your family health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 57 minutes later
Ok great. Is mild dilation or slight dilation of the aorta normal? My pediatric cardiologist said its normal and not considered damage. There is no mm number attached to this for me to see the size vs my sons height and weight. He said there js no damage to the aorta but had mentioned this too .
Brief Answer:
You shouldn't worry as long as doctor said it's ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Aorta diameter and dilatation should be strictly monitored, however as long as your doctor said it's normal you shouldn't worry for the moment.

Wish you and your family health!
Dr. SHEHU
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist