• question-icon

What causes high fever and low blood pressure?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Doctor, thank you. My husband woke up about two hours ago with severe shaking, and we took his blood pressure, which had dropped very low and his heart rate was 43 beats per minute. He has a pacemaker, which is set for 60 beats per minute. The shaking stopped, and his blood pressure and heart rate returned to normal levels, but he developed a fever, which is alternating between 100.8 and 102.4. He is a bit delirious, saying things like he's working on a fence. Do I need to take him to the hospital, because he doesn't get much rest there, and said he did not want to go?

My email address is YYYY@YYYY
not YYYY@YYYY .

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and i understand your concerns but I would recommend that you take him to the hospital to exclude endocarditis on top of the pacemaker..
The clinical presentation of pacemaker endocarditis is highly variable, with fever, chills, murmurs, leukocytosis, splenomegaly, anemia among the most common signs and symptoms. To exclude endocarditis he will need a CBC test and an echocardiogram to be done.. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 4 hours later
Thank you Dr. Shoman. My husband is better since we first asked the question. His temperature went down to 98.9, although it is currently at 99.3. His blood pressure is 104 over 51 with a heart rate of 63 beats per minute (although the pacemaker is set for 60). He slept for about 3 hours; we can contact his regular cardiologist tomorrow morning. He still does not want to go to the hospital; since his condition is improving, can we wait for his regular cardiologist?

Also, he is very coherent now, and does not want to go. He correctly answered questions about when events in our lives happened, etc, and is reasoning about whether he should go, and decided to wait. We gave him another dose of colloidal silver and oil of oregano, along with vitamin C, CoQ10, and selenium, (these 3 he takes daily). I looked up Endocarditis symptoms; of these symptoms, he had fever, chills, irregular heart rate if that is the same thing as heart murmur, fatigue, aching body, but he did not have night sweats, shortness of breath, pale skin, or a persistent cough. He has a headache in the top of his head and the fever is almost gone now. He is sleeping once again. The question is can we wait until tomorrow for his cardiologist. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, since he is improving then yes you can wait till the cardiologist apointement and he shall perform a physical examination and order some tests to confirm or exclude endocarditis . I hope you find this helpful . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman