Suggest treatment for hard lump under ear

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: There a hard internal ump below my ear, behind my jaw line. I can feel it if I turn right but can't if I turn left. It doesn't move. And is not visible otherwise. If I press too hard it becomes uncomfortable. I am on PPI since 2 weeks for GERD and had ear pain that came and went. The ear pain however isn't there after I started PPIs. My mouth used to burn and that also has not cropped up again. I don't have fever.

I looked up the net but could not find anything significant in that area.
I have uploaded an image where I feel the lump is.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. A swelling in this region could be a parotid salivary gland swelling, a lymph node or on deeper palpation, the lateral process of the C2 cervical vertebra. Pain form the Eustachian tube will also be felt here. Muscle pain form the sternocleidomastoid muscle and the mastoid process is also a possibility.

2. Get a USG (Ultrasound) of the Neck done. If it is normal, there is no cause for worry.

3. The ear pain due to gastritis is a referred pain due to common nerve supply and is very common. (Vagus or Tenth Cranial Nerve).

4. Continue your anti-reflux treatment for 8 to 12 weeks.

5. Upload your USG Neck report.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 41 hours later
I showed it to another doctor here - he believes it is an infection - probably in my head. I do have some acne on my scalp. He has prescribed a medicine - baycip 500 for 5 days, twice a day. I am worried since the lump is hard. However, If I try to pinch the lump by holding it between the index finger and thumb, it tends to move away..

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be an enlarged lymph node.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The antibiotic is fine if a lymph node swelling is present.

2. From your description a firm, XXXXXXX lump is most likely to be a lymph node.

3. Get a USG Neck done. It will settle the diagnosis.

Regards.