Suggest treatment for generalised anxiety disorder

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: About a year ago I was clinically diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I am now concerned that I may have Bi Polar Disorder.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
symptoms of bipolar disorder are different from anxiety disorder

Detailed Answer:

In Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) symptoms are excessive, ongoing worry and tension, restlessness or a feeling of being "edgy", irritability, muscle tension, difficulty concentrating.And diagnosis is done by detail history and mental status examination generally by a psychiatrist. Effexor and temazepam are used in treatment of GAD.

To diagnose bipolar disorder at least one episode of mania/hypomania should be there. Symptoms of mania include feeling unusually “high” OR extremely irritable mood, unrealistic, grandiose beliefs about one’s abilities or powers, sleeping very little, but feeling extremely energetic, talking so rapidly that others can’t keep up, racing thoughts; jumping quickly from one idea to the next
highly dis-tractable, unable to concentrate, impaired judgment and impulsiveness, acting recklessly without thinking about the consequences.

Most of the patients required admission to treat acute manic episode. In bipolar disorder episode of depression can also occur in which sad mood, lack of interest, sleep disturbance, low or high appetite, hopelessness, worthlessness, fatigue, death wishes are the symptoms. However to to call it episode of bipolar depression episode of mania/hypomania should be there in past.

With this background let me know how do you think about possibility of bipolar disorder in your case?

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist