• question-icon

What causes an episode of mania when diagnosed with bipolar disorder?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Mental Health
Question: i think i may be having a amanic episode. although my clinician diagnose me as bipolar type two, i am unsure whether i crossed the line. i have been renewing old family relationships, thinking aboit moving there, and having beautiful thoughts about the image of the place. is it possible to have recognition? my head is racing, i haven't slept much h at all
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

If you are struggling with not sleeping much and racing thoughts, it may be that you are going into hypomania or mania. The best thing right now is to contact your doctor ASAP, and tell him or her about the lack of sleep and racing thoughts. Getting appropriate medicine for these symptoms as soon as possible can often prevent symptoms from spiraling out of control.

Can you call your doctor now?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
no, i can not. i don't know what caused this
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint what sets it off, sometimes low level, but persistent stress, or a sudden stressful event. Sometimes medications, such as corticosteroids can do it.

But the important thing now is to get it under control, if you have a history of any form of bipolar disorder and now are having trouble with sleep and racing thoughts.

So if you can't call your doctor, and if your doctor didn't give you a plan, such as to increase certain of your medications when this starts, then you will need to go in to a clinic or A and E.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 14 minutes later
I don't have a plan. is it possible to have insight during mania? I've been on quetiapine in the past, but ceased it due to fatigue.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
By having insight during mania, I think you are asking is it possible to be aware that it is happening? This is more typical of hypomania, but some people are aware of their situation as they are going into mania.

I do think you need to be seen now, though. Lack of sleep can make things worse (and in some cases, is what sets mania off).
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 5 minutes later
thanks so much
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good luck to you -

Detailed Answer:
Good luck to you. I hope you find a medication that helps you have a good balance.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh