Suggest treatment for gastroenteritis

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I was recently diagnosed with Gastroenteritis and they did a urine analysis and it showed that I had bilirubin in the urine. Could this be due to dehydration or do I need to be worried and have this checked out further? I already had an abdominal US a year and a half ago and it was negative.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to liver problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query my dear patient,
Have gone through your query and i appreciate your concerns.
In liver conditions as biliary obstruction or hepatitis, excess amount of bilirubin is build up in the blood and is eliminated in urine. The presence of bilirubin in urine is an early indicator of liver disease.
Tests to be done further are-
ultrasound hepatobiliary(Doesnt matter if 1 year back it was normal)..
liver function test

follow up with reports.

Its not due to dehydration.

Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad