Suggest treatment for fungal ear infection

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. My 32 yr old daughter has been battling a fungal infection in her ear for 9 months. She has been to 2 different ENT's. Now she has a "bacterial"infection, so the Dr says on her Tragus. Same ear

She has used several anti fungal medications. Nothing oral. Mostly violet ? Powder & now on antibiotics for the infection of Tragus

She is totally frustrated with the constant pain. She has 2 small children and works full time. She is miserable. I have told her to ask the dr for oral anti fungal meds but he won't put her on them. Any suggestions please ? My brother is an interventional neuro radiologist in another city and he said she should get a CT scan for the ear fungal ear infection. The dr actually pulled out a clump back 5 months ago but never sent it to get biopsied. I am worried she could have long term problems from this ongoing infection. Thanks. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ear swab C/S for bacterial and fungal culture.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. I agree with you that 9 months with otomycosis and secondary bacterial infection requires aggressive treatment as she is in constant pain. The ear drum should be checked for any perforation and middle ear discharge that may be keeping the ear wet.

2. Frequent ear suction cleaning and ear swabs for bacterial and fungal culture/ sensitivity should be sent immediately. 'Biofilm' formation is also a possibility.

3. This seems to a a resistant infection and if the tragal or ear canal infection is deep (involving the cartilage or bone- look for granulation tissue) then intravenous antibiotics and antifungals with appropriate ear drops and pain relief medication will eradicate the infection.

4. Check her blood sugar levels and if these are high or she has pseudomonas bacterial or other resistant infection, an HRCT (High Resolution) CT Scan) with Nuclear Bone Scans ( both Technetium and Gallium) will be of use in planning treatment.

5. Upload the test results for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.