Suggest treatment for frequent cough with excess mucus in the throat

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My husband age 74 has frequent cough with phlym, spitting up, worsening in morning. Frequent choking on "crumbs", he says, when eating. Even going to bed, lies down, and cough again. It has worsened over past 2 - 3 weeks. He smokes one pack of cigs daily. Has tried patches to quit in past, but then smokes also, and fails to quit. He thinks it is pollen in air. Frequent blows nose. Weight 164, lost 20 lbs over past two years. Could this be symptoms of COPD.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes this looks like COPD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Yes it looks like COPD. Even if he has pollen and other allergies it's more likely COPD than asthma in view of his smoking. He will have to take treatment for the same for which he must consult a Pulmonologist.

He needs to undergo investigations esp. a chest X-ray to rule out anything else in view of his smoking history. The most important step in treatment is smoking cessation which he must do at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query.

Feel free to come back if you have any more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee