Suggest treatment for flu infection in a 5-month-old breastfed baby?
Observe for the breathing problem
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Flu is a very infectious condition and in most of the cases it improves on its own in 3-4 days with symptomatic treatment only. That means if there is a fever give Paracetamol and for a nasal congestion nasal saline drop or antihistaminic.
In small babies, there may be involvement of lower respiratory tract which may present with breathing difficulty and poor feeding.
I won't get worried if the baby is otherwise active, accepting feeds well and there are no breathing issues.
You can give nasal saline drop(nasoclear) 4-6 times a day. If cold is more you may need to give antiallergic like Cetirizine after consulting your pediatrician.
Give frequent feeds and consult your doctor immediately if there is any breathing difficulty.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for swine flu infection
- Management of cold and flu in a 2 months old baby
- Swine flu symptoms and treatment
- Stomach flu treatment
- Suggest treatment for flu like symptoms
- Suggest treatment for stomach flu
- Treatment and cure for viral flu infection
- Treatment for flu
- Flu symptoms and treatment
- Flu 4 year old treatment
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting