Suggest treatment for flu infection in a 5-month-old breastfed baby?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: hi .. my baby is 5 months old under breast feeding... i have flu from last 2 days and i observed my baby also infected with it.. she has running nose from evening.. please suggest what could be the best way to treat... thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe for the breathing problem

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Flu is a very infectious condition and in most of the cases it improves on its own in 3-4 days with symptomatic treatment only. That means if there is a fever give Paracetamol and for a nasal congestion nasal saline drop or antihistaminic.
In small babies, there may be involvement of lower respiratory tract which may present with breathing difficulty and poor feeding.
I won't get worried if the baby is otherwise active, accepting feeds well and there are no breathing issues.
You can give nasal saline drop(nasoclear) 4-6 times a day. If cold is more you may need to give antiallergic like Cetirizine after consulting your pediatrician.
Give frequent feeds and consult your doctor immediately if there is any breathing difficulty.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad