Suggest treatment for finger bruise caused by an injury

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I crushed my finger/fingernail in a door and it is bruised and black under the fingernail. its not broken but is painful. Is there any benefit to reliving the pressure of the blood buildup under the nail? will it help it heal better? the pain is subsiding. I know I am likely to lose the fingernail in time.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and evaluated the picture you send.

Evacuation of the blood under the nail (subungual hematoma) is recommended when it covers more then 25% of nailbed and it is causing intense pain due to the pressure.
Your hematoma is relatively moderate and if you don't have significant pain at rest and it is getting better ,it doesn't require any treatment.It will heal on it's own and the blood will be absorbed by the surrounding tissue.

If you have significant pain at rest and the feeling of pressure ,you should have the hematoma drained.
The aim of draining the blood under the nail is to ease the pain due to the pressure and to avoid tissue damage due to high pressure (this in big hematomas when the pressure created due to blood accumulation is considerable ).
The procedure of draining the subungual hematoma carries some risks like infection,injury.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati