• question-icon

What causes black discolouration under the toenail?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a black discoloration under toenail now the nail is coming off what could cause this and now I have o
no nail what should I be doing
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. However, I would need you to upload an image of the toenail in question. I would also need to ask you if you suffered from any injury. Also mention if the nail was painful and how long it has been like this. Based on your inputs I would be able to guide you further.

I would wait for your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 hours later
Picture attached
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes and management mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the attached image. The black nail could be caused due to a number of possibilities:
* It could be due to some trauma leading to bleeding under the nail. Repetitive trauma can result from running, or from wearing any type of ill-fitting footwear.. Other causes that could lead to bleeding and hematoma formation (Subungual Hematoma) could also be contributory.
* There could be an underlying fungal infection. Application of clotrimazole lotion topically at the sides/angles of the nail could provide relief. Oral treatment with fluconazole (prescription medicine) might be needed.
* Less likely causes include Melanoma, a form of skin cancer. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile to be ruled out.

I would insist you to visit a doctor and to get it evaluated. Although there is a significant chance that nothing might need to be done, there are also chances that the nail might need to be removed. A sterile large-gauge needle can be used to create a small hole in the nail to allow underlying fluid to drain. Cautery, a battery-operated device may also be used to burn a hole in the nail until underlying accumulated blood begins to drain.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha